Welcome to the Commission on Filipinos Overseas!
The biggest decision you made, if not, in your life is to settle abroad permanently. As a new migrant, you expect that you are about face many challenges ahead since you are now living in a country that is totally different from your own. One of the challenging part of settling abroad is how you can integrate with your host country easily and adopt the culture, norms, environment, language and practices of your host country. To help you, the Commission on Filipinos Overseas provides the mandatory seminar called the “Pre-departure Orientation Seminar” or the PDOS to Filipino emigrants which aims to prepare them for the challenges of international migration like adjustments in culture and language, and address their concerns and give information about permanent settlement overseas.
CFO’s Online Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar is FREE OF CHARGE.
We are about to start your CFO’s Online Pre-departure Orientation Seminar or “Online PDOS” as one of the requirements before you depart for the United States. In lieu of attending the PDOS at the CFO offices, you must go through the seven (7) online modules to successfully complete the process. The following modules are:
• (Module 1) – Preparing for departure – This module will help you to familiarize about documents needed for travel, procedures and regulations at the airport, luggage allowance, items that are restricted or prohibited.
• (Module 2) – Entering the USA – You will be oriented about culture shock, obtaining valid identification cards in the US like driver’s license, greencard, state ID, rights and responsibilities of permanent residents in the US, sponsoring a family member and citizenship.
• (Module 3) – Getting Settled in the US – Concerns like looking for apartment or house to buy or rent, health insurances, education for your children and where to seek help or assistance will be addressed.
• (Module 4) – Building a Support Network – This module will explain the kind of support networks in the US and the possible assistance you can get. It will also explain the services offered of our Philippine Embassy and Consulate Generals in US including their locations.
• (Module 5) – Finding a Job – The module will cover how foreign credentials recognized in the US, how to find a job, the documents needed to prepare for job application and workplace environment in the US.
• (Module 6) – Managing your finances – The basic financial literacy will be tackled in this module to help you manage your finances in the US to secure your future like basic financial planning and joint planning, and sending remittances. The importance of credit history and credit scoring in the US will also be discussed in this module.
• (Module 7) – Maintaining and Strengthening Ties with the Philippines – Ways of keeping and maintaining your ties with the Philippines while in the US will be discussed in this module like passing Filipino culture and traditions to young generations of Filipinos. This module will also explain about the “Overseas Absentee Voting”, “Dual Citizenship” and other programs of CFO like LINKAPIL and BalinkBayan.
As a supplement for the online PDOS, you are advised to download the “Handbook for Filipinos Migrating to the United States of America” here.